Friday, May 16, 2008

Because

Part of my job – a larger and larger part lately – is editing. I’m usually the second line of defense, sometimes the third if we farm something particularly gnarly out. A good part of that is reviews books, film, poetry, theater, TV. And because it’s my job, and because I’m cranky at least 75% of the time I’m there just because it’s my job and I’d rather be home reading on the couch with furry animals on my feet, I’m constantly susceptible to hubris: the secret sneer, the roll of the eyes, that silent arrogant whisper: Jesus, this is awful – I could do this better.

So: Because hubris is a tragic flaw, and tragic flaws are bad for both digestion and karma, and because it’s always good to stretch and be humbled at the same time – because in fact it’s hard to write a review, to strike the right tone somewhere in between chattiness and pedantry and to say something that hasn’t been said a hundred times before without sounding completely pompous or silly – because being snotty, even in secret, is basically bad, and putting yourself out there in all good faith and honest effort is basically good, I submit to you my first-ever film review: Reprise, a film by Joachim Trier.

And also, because I haven't posted one in awhile, a bear cartoon.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The review was more than fine, but I have to know: what is the waiter sprinkling on the bear? (Bronx parties are a lot more exotic than Brooklyn ones, apparently.)

12:27 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

That's the universal symbol for "waiter flinging salmon at bear." Industry stuff -- don't worry aboutit.

No, actually it's just a sketch I did for a caterer, and not particularly graphically clear or effective. But it's a bear, and I like to see bears when I open my blog.

6:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great movie. I want to see it!

10:51 AM  
Blogger Debi Harbuck said...

I love your bears. And, I thought your review was fabulous.

9:57 AM  
Blogger Meredith said...

What Debi said :)

8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home