Saturday, January 19, 2008

Gideon's First Fish

On the back it says July, 1993, which puts him a couple of months shy of his sixth birthday.

Why yes, I have spent my day doing a whole lot of nothing, which includes poking around up in the attic. Given all the events I usually try to cram into my weekends, this was a necessary and very appreciated day of total R&R.

I am not a scrapbook person, I don't have a baby book for Gideon, and none of my photos are in albums -- they are stuffed haphazardly into boxes. And while there's a kind of aleatory charm in pulling out a handful of pictures and seeing what I get, I'm sure someday when my memory is starting to go I'll really wish I had organized them better. But I don't really foresee having big chunks of free time to do this... oh, ever, honestly.

What's very touching is that I see Gideon's been through some of them and labeled the backs. I have no idea when he did it. The handwriting is on the young side -- he can't have been in his teens, I don't think. But it's sweet -- I'll have to remember to thank him.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Kitt said...

Awww. Very sweet pictures. Makes me feel all misty-eyed for you.

7:47 PM  
Blogger Kitt said...

Kind of like this old commercial. Remember it?

8:03 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Ooh, I've never seen that one. Maybe the northeast wasn't the right demographic for Mormon commercials in the 70s.

It is kind of like that, except I don't think Gideon ever looked that good in a tutu.

8:07 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Great photos--and you're not the only one whose photos are jammed into boxes, unlabeled.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Mary-Laure said...

So cute!
I was wondering where the name 'Gideon' comes from...?

4:12 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

It's an old family name from his dad's side, going back to the Revolutionary War. Their family plot out in Iowa (yeah, I know, creepy) has a bunch of great grave markers with his name on it going back hundreds of years.

4:20 PM  
Blogger Mary-Laure said...

I was sure there would be a great story associated with his name! Thanks for sharing it.
I agree, the family plot thing is a bit creepy...very Gothic...

4:11 AM  
Blogger Heather Jefferies said...

I'm still stuck on, you took a day off. Was it fun?

I keep my photos carefully archived (read: shoveled in) in ski boot boxes. Perfect size and shape. They are under somebody's bed. Somewhere.

1:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got pics for you of the baby G... "Muzz"

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home