Saturday, May 09, 2009

A Question

OK. Since it's late and I'm a little drunk and have had a long, cranky, slightly anxious day and am in no mood at all to think deep thoughts, I have a question for my readers: What's your favorite trait? Of yours, that is, not one you like to see in other people. And an actual one, not a quality you wish you had or would like to cultivate. Something that, when you've had a shitty day and can't say anything particularly good about yourself, there's that one thing you can come up with and repeat to yourself in the dark so you can go to sleep.

I'll even go first: I'm brave. Not always discerning or wise or considerate -- although I hope I'm all of those things at least some of the time -- but without question brave. I will take on scary things and I am willing to fall on my ass. I will jump out of the metaphorical airplane. And may I point out that bravery is not the same thing as being unafraid -- I'm afraid of all sorts of things all the time. As far as I'm concerned, that's the challenge. I live to say Fuck You to my fear, and it has always, without fail, served me well. I have never regretted an act of bravery in my life.
So, dear readers. What is it about yourselves that you hold most dear? Tell me.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger Margarita said...

I think an uncomfortable but essential trait - I am a self-involved perfectionist. My anxiety because of this is sky high all the time, but I will do everything possible to walk out there and be as competent as I can in whatever I do. It's rough but I try the be the best I can be. Oftentimes I still fail, but I attempt to learn and get better with every try. In medical arts of whatever kind, it is kind of a safety feature, I would say. Awesome job, Lisa - here is a topic of a whole blog and a half. This is such a beautiful thing to look at yourself, "warts and all", and say OK, here I come! Write On!

12:08 AM  
Blogger Mary Catherine said...

Penchant for hilarity. Whenever possible. A penchant sometimes out of purview. Sometimes inappropriate. Still, it's the trait I most cherish.

3:02 AM  
Blogger Katharine Weber said...

Maybe an ability to see the connections between things, often very un-obvious things.

5:18 AM  
Blogger Debi Harbuck said...

Unselfconsciousness (is that a word? Eh. I'm going with it.) - not letting the fact that I don't know, or don't know how, keep me from getting out there in the thick of things. Life is definitely richer because I am not ashamed or embarrassed to ask questions, make mistakes, mispronounce words, ask for advice, and - every so often - fall flat on my ass (both literally and figuratively).

7:54 AM  
Blogger heddy said...

An enduring curiousity. For as long as I can remember, I have wondered how things came to be and have been eager to learn new things. This curiousity prompted me to put myself through college. Not that a BA really makes that much of a difference. But I answered a lot of questions and got a good foundation of information to build on. My continuing ad hoc education is a source of pleasure.

4:02 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

I love you guys.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Cara dB said...

I'm really good at analyzing things. Sometimes I drive myself crazy when a cigar is really just a cigar, but most of the time it's a useful talent that has done me a lot of good.

9:34 AM  
Blogger lynn said...

I'd say it's that I don't cry over spilled milk. I'm pretty sure it's a reaction to the fact that I come from a long line of hand-wringers, but I don't fret over decisions I've made in the past.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

I so wish this was an easier question for me. I guess I like that I have good instincts. My first, gut impressions of people and situations are usually dead-on.

4:25 PM  
Blogger Levi Stahl said...

Equanimity. I feel like it was a gift from my parents, who are calm and easygoing, and I'm grateful for it every day.

11:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home