Sunday, May 31, 2009

More Birthdays, No Seeds

My goodness, could this really be the last day of the May Blogathon? Why, it's gone by just like that.

Well... no it hasn't. But it's been interesting. Between this and my regular blogging gig for Readerville, the month has felt at times like boot camp for Writing Without the Muse. Which is a book that I in fact own, but have I found time to reference it once in the past 31 days? I have not. Flying, as ever, without the net. There were times when I sat down in front of the computer and the well felt absolutely dry, but it mattered to me that I do this, and it made for an interesting trip. I'm a big believer in pushing things and going on the proverbial journey. It's been a fun one. I'm glad it's over, though.

Today is my birthday. I've now officially missed the window of time for getting that "45" shoulder tattoo, which is probably a good thing.
I'll always regret it a tiny bit, though.

My day was extremely chilled out. We drove out to a little diner I like in Tarrytown, 20 minutes away, so I could get eggs benedict -- not a diner staple in my part of Kingsbridge, sadly. Did the week's grocery shopping, puttered in the yard. I never got around to planting the new seeds, but I weeded, cleaned up the raised beds -- thank you, neighborhood cats of Summit Place! -- and did some needed thinning. That included the lettuce and spinach, which was getting crowded and leggy, and that meant we had the most unbelievably fresh salad with dinner. There's nothing quite like eating something that was alive very recently, and the greens were crisp and melting at the same time.
For my birthday dinner I made spaghetti and meatballs, one of my favorite meals ever, along with the aforementioned world's freshest salad and a nice bottle of red wine. All eaten off the gorgeous placemats my friend Margarita crocheted me, and in good company to boot.
Dorrie got a new collar and a new chewie, and all was well in her world too.
On the way to the grocery store and back I was blasting one of my favorite old cds in the car, Squeeze's Argybargy. There are a lot of albums that rocket me back to my teens, but that one never fails to put me in a state of extreme good cheer. So I drove and sang and drummed on the side of the car out of the open window and exposed the good people of the north Bronx to their dose of early 80s music for the afternoon, and it was all in all a very good birthday.
All in all, it's been a very good month. Thanks for bearing with me.

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Margarita said...

Lisa, Happy Birthady! Nothing like a good chilled out day that's all yours! I think it's the best gift one can have - the gift of chill time. New Year - new beginnings, keep blogging on, I always look forward to your thoughts - I wouldn't hold you to a post a day, though :)

11:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy post-birthday and thanks for this great month of notes, thoughts, and stories. I've looked for every one with impatience and glee.

6:17 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Happy (late) birthday! I love eggs benny, too, and that salad is making me ravenous. Maybe I should try growing some lettuce...

3:42 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

Happy Birthday! Looks like a great day to me. Mmm, sketti & meatballs. One of my favorites, too.

Maybe you can get that 45 thingy cast in silver for your 50th and wear it on a chain.

2:32 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy belated!!

3:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home