Thursday, May 28, 2009

Graduation

Today has been an astonishing oscillation of the shitty and the sublime, in such rapid succession as to give me whiplash.
But my first sight of the morning, when I was out for (another!) good run with Dorrie, was a line of flowers and teddy bears in boxes being unloaded across the street from Lehman College for their graduation ceremony. I actually stopped and screwed around with the camera on this new phone for a minute to capture it, and the image stayed in my head all day through good and bad. A little on the rainbowy side, but I needed that, and to think about all those city kids feeling like they accomplished something and psyching themselves up for whatever comes next. I was talking to a friend tonight about inertia, how it just takes the smallest nudge to set a body in motion and how kindly it wants to stay in motion once that happens.

It's been many years since I graduated from anything, but there is motion. And that'll do.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Margarita said...

There is nothing like a run to put you in rainbowy mood - every time you finish a run you graduate to the next level and a better self, IMHO. As the annoying cheerleading onlookers at the races say, "Keep going - looking good!"

11:57 PM  
Blogger Debi Harbuck said...

Sorry about the oscillation to the shitty side, honey. Some days are like roller coasters, yes?

Here's to movement and momentum and a better day.

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home