Friday, August 29, 2008

Driving Miss Dorrie

Dorrie hates the car. Never mind that we only ever take her fun places, doggie daycare or to people's houses where she gets to run around in the countryside or the vet -- Dorrie actually seems to like the vet, probably because he has two great big handsome dogs who hang out in the waiting room. And once she's actually in the car she's OK -- she rarely gets carsick and she doesn't really do the helpless drooling thing anymore. But the process of getting in there is just miserable. You'd think she was about to get beaten with sticks, or a bath, or something along those lines the way she balks and cowers.

So when we're driving I talk to her a lot, tell her she's a good girl, skritch her on the head. Often I'll sing to her. It's a good distraction, mostly because it seems to puzzle the hell out of her -- what exactly am I doing? But it takes her mind off the fact that we're in the car, and that's a good thing.

I just discovered Mixwit, a mix tape site (via bricolagelife, an art/design blog I like a lot). And one of the things I've been doing with my time off is just giving myself permission to mess around with stuff, play a bit, whatever. Tonight that's what I've been messing with. (And eating cheese!)

So in honor of my good little dog, here's a mix of songs I like to sing to her in the car.


MixwitMixwit make a mixtapeMixwit mixtapes

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Kitt said...

Nice! Good music to surf by, too. I just opened a new window and left this playing.

Sophie hates the car, too.

11:26 PM  
Blogger Cara dB said...

That is really sweet. We love Apples in Stereo, too!

7:52 AM  
Blogger Rooie said...

Aw! Look at that ole Dorrie. Give her a skritch for me, too.

And we used to have to sing to Rachel in the car when she was little. And unlike Dorrie (I'm assuming), if we paused we'd hear this imperious Little voice from the back seat saying "Nozzer song! Nozzer song, Mom!"

8:07 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

hey there! nice mix :) and if you like mixwit, you might like pandora, too (create your own radio stations!)...

thanks for linking to me

1:34 PM  
Blogger Miss T said...

:o) Maxwell's not wild about the car, either. He's positive no good can come of it.

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home