Friday, June 06, 2008

Flickr Meme Thing with Pictures

OK, so I saw this on two blogs I like a lot, Two Pointy Sticks and Alecto's Ophelia. Now, sometimes I like these meme things because they're good prompts and I tend to do well with motivators -- deadlines, assignments, telling people I'll do something and then having to do it so I don't completely humiliate myself. Then again, I'm also a cranky aging punk rocker (I was about to say "ex-punk rocker," but then realized that after all those years of saying "It's not about the FASHION, man," this would be a reasonable opportunity to take that to heart -- it's not about the lifestyle, right? Right?) and you know. No meme is the fuckin' boss of me.

This one appealed, though, probably for the most part because I like looking at pictures on the internet so much. I know it's all a big old time suck -- but still, there's so much cool stuff out there to feast the eyes on, BibliOdyssey and the Nonist and Strange Maps and Things to Look At and Decocentric (even though I can't read Russian, really, just enough to sound out the words) and I check out Ffffound! every single day, even though they're in snotty beta stage forever and I can't actually join. Which I suppose is part of my problem, having a million RSS feeds and wanting to look at every single one of them. I'd probably get a lot more done if I never turned on my Google Reader. But I don't know, I like having visual stimulation, and I do think it's good for me as an artist and even as a writer to have a lot of shiny input. You know the saying Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out? (Or, in Latin: Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius.) Well, I say, Look at all the pictures on the internets, let my brain sift through 'em when I'm asleep or something. Hey, I don't watch TV -- I've gotta have some kind of guilty pleasure.

So this meme is all about found pictures and shiny objects so I liked it, plus since there's some kind of evolved internet etiquette wherein picking up a meme from someone else's blog is a sign of love and respect (not that Alecto and Ms. Pointy Sticks don't already know that I love and respect them, or if they don't then they should), so I get to do that twice with one blog post.

So, the concept:

a. Type your answer to each of the questions below into Flickr Search.
b. Using only the first page, pick an image.
c. Copy and paste each of the URLs for the images into fd's mosaic maker.

The Questions:

  1. What is your first name? Lisa
  2. What is your favorite food? Pasta
  3. What high school did you go to? The Putney School
  4. What is your favorite color? Bottle green
  5. Who is your celebrity crush? Steve McQueen
  6. Favorite drink? Red wine
  7. Dream vacation? Morocco
  8. Favorite dessert? Licorice
  9. What you want to be when you grow up? A Dog Whisperer
  10. What do you love most in life? The family
  11. One Word to describe you. Try
  12. Your Flickr name lisapeet
1. Lisa's little paws, 2. 3 Types of Pasta, 3. The Putney School, 4. Ten green bottles....., 5. Steve McQueen and wife Neile in Palm Springs 1963, 6. Red wine, 7. Chefchouen, Morocco, 8. Old Finnish liquorice tin from the 50s, 9. dog whisperer, 10. Bear Family, 11. try, 12. lisapeet age 8

(I cheated a bit on the last one by uploading a photo of myself and naming it accordingly. But it's a cute picture, and I haven't really changed much other than the hair color.)

So that's my little photo mosaic, and I encourage everyone to make one of their own because it's a really fun way to kill a Friday evening, and there's something oddly aesthetically satisfying about it as well.

I still owe Alecto a whole nother meme, one of those that fit into the category of Interesting Prompts That Will Probably Make Me Think in a Good Way and Something Interesting is Sure to Come of It. I just haven't gotten to it yet. Too busy looking at shiny pictures and stuff. But this'll do for now.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger Rooie said...

Hmm...now that I'm finished blushing over being loved and respected (really? you just made me night) let me say that the mosiac isn't showing up. You need to save it to your own hard drive and then upload it....

Because I love and respect you, too, and I want to see it!

11:27 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Ah, thank you! I love and respect you even more now.

Is it working now?

11:32 PM  
Blogger Heather Jefferies said...

It's working now! That's very cool and the fact that you went to the Putney School splains lots! I'm still laughing it's so perfect. Also, the 8 year old you is a cheat worth having.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

Alecto, you're familiar with Putney? Did you go there? Do I know you? No lack of degrees of separation surprise me anymore.

9:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow that is super cool. I'd do this meme, too, but I don't have a flickr account.

10:00 PM  
Blogger Heather Jefferies said...

I didn't go; I just might have. I think I was afraid to leave home and instead stayed at Glastonbury High and then moved to Fairfield which just about killed me. I SHOULD have gone to Putney. Things might have been very different for me.

Gina, I got my flickr account by accident, it seemed to come with my yahoo id or something like that.

1:58 PM  
Blogger Lisa said...

You just have to open up a Yahoo account, Gina. I opened up my Flickr account just to enter that Christmas cookie contest and have never used the Yahoo.

Alecto, just think -- if you were somewhere around the Class of '81 and had gone to Putney, we would have known each other 30 years earlier. Two of my very best friends in the world today I met there when we were 14 and 15.

3:11 PM  
Blogger Heather Jefferies said...

1982

10:54 AM  
Blogger Lisa said...

There ya go, alternate universes and all that.

11:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home